Thursday, January 9, 2014

Day 9: In Search Of...

Anyone remember the old T.V. show "In Search of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy?  Well that's what I was yesterday.  But instead of lost civilizations or aliens, I was "In Search Of " lard and tallow!

I went to the store to pick up a few items.  One was lard.  Yup, good old fashioned rendered pig fat.  So off I went. I had seen it before in little boxes in the section by the eggs and biscuits but alas, it wasn't there.  I looked around the store and nope.  Didn't see any.  I asked an employee in the pickle section and he didn't know.  I finally went to the meat counter and thank goodness, she knew.  It was in the Mexican food section.  It's kinda sad that lard is now only available as an ethnic food.  I mean, doesn't anyone remember their Grandmother making pie crusts or biscuits using lard?  They were always so delicious and flaky. 

While I was there, I also asked the butcher if they sold beef fat so I could make my own tallow.  She had an assistant who didn't even know what tallow was! So sad. The butcher said they didn't sell to customers because they sell it to, of all places, Mary Kay cosmetics!  Go figure.  The makeup that reports to keep your skin beautiful is full of beef fat! We won't put it in our bodies but we're willing to slather it all over our faces.  I find that ironic & highly amusing. 

Fortunately, the butcher did suggest another store to try.  I love that lady!  I'm going "In Search Of" later this week.  If I find any, my plan is to try my hand at making tallow.  I'll post my attempts here.
Breakfast today was Toad in a Hole, mixed fruit, and café mocha. Creative use of bread & an egg.
Lunch was sautéed onions, peppers and broccoli in cheese sauce over a baked potato. Delish!
Dinner was Chicken n' Noodles, California mix, and 1/2 slice bread with a bit of butter.
Tonight's snack was homemade chocolate chip cookies. It was really cold and baking felt good!

Eating the Rainbow:
Red:  Raspberries
Orange: Carrots
Yellow:  Banana
Green: Broccoli, green peppers
Blue:  Blueberries, blackberries
White: Garlic, onions, cauliflower

No comments:

Post a Comment