Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day 6- Monday Monday So Good to Meeeeee

It's the first full week of 2014.  It's amazing to me that it actually is 2014.  I moved to OK in 1999 so this is my 15 year anniversary as an Oklahoman.  Not sure how I feel about that.  I'm grateful that I'm made some wonderful friends here who are now family but the town and area itself is really not my preference.  I'm a mountain girl and here I am, in the plains.  I'm making the best of it though. 

My little hearth is technically in the city but it looks more suburban. Hubs & I have a 1/2 an acre, with a huge yard, a small pond with a waterfall, and as I told you before, a ton of trees.  The whole neighborhood is very green and shady, a little hilly, and it's also very close to a lake.  I think I am trying to recreate my beloved Ozarks. 

I do love my home and am working hard to make it into a homestead.  Later in the year, I'm going to be working very hard to establish a huge garden so I can grown my own organic veggies.  I want to get some rain barrels, build a compost bin, and get or build a solar oven,&  maybe even a cob oven to boot.  I'd also love to have some chickens but dang OKC for not passing the backyard chicken ordinance!  If I had a privacy fence, I'd have them anyway but I don't.  Well, not yet anyway. 

What's this have to do with being healthy?  Well, what's more healthy than going out to your own garden and picking veggies and fruits fresh off the plants?  I will know exactly where the plants come from, what I used on them and if they are really organic or not.  Doesn't get much healthier than that.

Also, gardening is great exercise.  If you've never done it, trust me.  It involves a lot of physical labor to produce tasty produce.  I mean, seriously.  When's the last time you saw a fat farmer? 
Breakfast today was a bit more protein heavy.  Yesterday's cereal was delicious but it just set me off to be hungry all day long.  So back to protein I go. I had a two egg omelet with green peppers and onions smothered in spicy salsa and a mocha latte. 

I ended up skipping lunch.  I just wasn't hungry.  OK, I did have 1/2 of a Rice Krispie treat but that was it.
Dinner was salmon patties with tarter sauce, fried potatoes, California mix veggies. 

Got snacky late in the night.  Ate a huge bowl of angle hair with butter, garlic, & Parmesan cheese.  Guess that made up for the calories missed at lunch.

Eating the Rainbow:
Red: Salsa
Orange: Carrots
Yellow:  :(
Green: Pobalanos, Celery, broccoli
Blue:  :(
White: Onion, potatoes, cauliflower, garlic

No comments:

Post a Comment