Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 8: Weekly Weigh In #1 & Time To Add Exercise

Well today was the day.  First official weigh in of the new year.  Drum roll please....236.8!  That's a loss of 3.8 pounds.  WOOHOO!

I'll be honest, I was afraid to get on the scale.  I've been eating real food (butter, pasta, meat etc.) and eating plenty of it.  Eating what I craved and eating until I'm satisfied.  I was totally prepared to see a weight gain.  I'm very happy to see that number went down!  VERY happy!  I don't expect such dramatic results next week as almost 4 pounds is quite a bit.  I'll be happy with 1 to 2 pounds a week.

However, I am adding exercise into the equation this week.  From experience, I know  this is the key for me and losing weight. 

In my younger days (OK, 30 years ago), I was in the Air Force.  From Day One, I was in what they called the 'Chunky Chicken' club, which meant I was right at the max of my weight limit, which at 5'5 was 144 pounds.  During Basic Training, I stayed close to the limit but lost a few pounds and completed.

When I got to Tech School, things really changed.  We walked everywhere.  The walk to our classes was at least 1 mile one way, so that's 2 miles right there.  If we wanted to go anywhere, we walked.  I'd say my daily average was probably 3 to 5 miles.  Now, not only did I walk, I ate, and when I say I ate, I mean I ATE!  I had breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day.  I ate biscuits and gravy, burgers with fries, and meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy, veggies and dessert.  Not only did I indulge in three full meals a day, every single night I ate either a small Domino's pizza by myself or a very large sub sandwich.  EVERY SINGLE DAY!  And guess what, I left Tech School weighing around 130 pounds.  I lost about 15 pounds! 

The secret?  Walking!  So yes, walking begins today.  I'll be starting with 15 minutes and adding 15 minutes a week. I'll also be tracking distance.  My goal is that magical 3 to 5 miles a day. 
Breakfast today was a breakfast burrito filled with pork sausage, egg, cheese, peppers, onions, & salsa with a mocha café.  Mmmmmm!
Lunch today was leftover pasta from last night with a bit of Parmesan & a banana. Wasn't super hungry but needed a little bite. 
Supper tonight was seared steaks, French fries, and green beans. 
Evening snack was bread pudding for one.  I put cocoa nibs and pecans in it this time.  Warm, comforting and delicious. 

Eating the Rainbow:
Red: Tomatoes
Orange: :(
Yellow: Banana
Green: Green peppers, green beans
Blue:  :(
White: Onions, garlic, potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment