Friday, January 3, 2014

Day 3 TGIF!

I snoozed in today.  I've been fighting a really nasty bug the past week so I guess my body needed a bit  more rest.  Nothing wrong with that.  As a matter of fact, if you're feeling bad, you should take some time and rest.  I think as Americans, we tend to think we need to keep moving no matter what.  Not healthy at all.  Sometimes, you just have to rest so your body can repair itself.

 
Brunch today was my version of Huevos Rancheros but in this case it was just one huevo. I left out the sugar from my original recipe. Since I like super spicy sauce, I paired this with a nice mocha latte to help counter the heat a bit.  I was happily surprised to see my chocolate syrup didn't have any nasty stuff in it.  It even claims to use 'natural' sugar.  I think I'll see if I can find a homemade version so I can tweak it to make sure it really is 'natural'. 

I got hungry around 2:00 pm so I had about 1/2 cup or so veggie soup leftover from yesterday.  I figured that would get my veggie count up and tide me over until dinner.  Between this and the salsa, I'd say I got a full serving of a few veggies.
Supper tonight was two slices of my homemade pizza with black olives, onions and green peppers. I make the crust and the sauce myself.  Heck, I've even made the mozzarella before too!

If you like pizza and are looking for a reliable, delicious recipe, I think you'll be very satisfied with this one.  Hubs and I are now spoiled and never eat pizza out anymore. Not to toot my own horn but my pizza puts the others to shame.  One nice thing is the dough is very versatile so it lends itself well to either thin or thick crust.  Also, I have slowly been using more whole wheat and less white flour.  I hope to eventually be using 100% whole wheat.  I'm getting Hubs used to the flavor differences.

Evening snack was homemade kettle corn.  So easy and deee-licious!  It's just 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 brown or white sugar, 1/2 cup popcorn & a sprinkle of salt.  That makes 5 servings.  It's just sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth without a ton of sugar. 

Today's Rainbow Count:
Red: Tomatoes, Apple
Orange: Carrots
Yellow:  Corn
Green: Green beans, peas, green peppers, celery
Blue:  Black olives
White: Onions

No comments:

Post a Comment