Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 30-The Big Picture

What should be a landmark day for me (30 days on CAD!) has become very insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 

In the wee hours of the morning, I got a text telling me of a tragic event and asking for a phone call when I saw it.  The 19 year old boyfriend of my best friend's daughter was found dead in his bathtub.  No, it was not a suicide.  He had just been released from the hospital that very day for a concussion from a car accident.  No one knows exactly what happened.  I just know that a very sweet, intelligent, good kid is gone from this world.  So very sad.

Needless to say, my friend and her family are in shock.  It's one of those stories that just breaks your heart.  Not many people find the love of their lives in High School but these two kids did.  It was obvious from the very beginning their relationship was something special.  Sure, they had their moments as all young lovers do, but they had a deep bond to one another that always transcended their problems.  They were not officially engaged but it was only a matter of time.  They were planning their future together and taking steps towards that future.  It's absolutely heart breaking to see this happen.

So yeah, today is definitely a mixed bag.  I'm happy for myself and sticking to my diet but ultimately, who really cares if I carry around a few extra pounds.  It doesn't really change who and what I am.  What is important is the people in your life and your relationships with them.  This tragic event is a reminder to cherish every single second you have with those you love and to never, ever take them for granted.

It's just sad that a 17 year old girl had to learn this lesson so early in her life.  Who she is will be forever changed from this moment on.  Time will heal the wound, it always does, but there will be a scare there.  A big one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment