Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I Confess!

I've got a dirty little secret.  An obsession that has ruled my life for years. One that I've had since I was a teenager.  One that has caused me to lie & cheat.  One I've cried many tears over.  

My name is Lisa and I am a carbohydrate addict.  There.  I said it.  Out loud for the whole world to see. 

This isn't an easy thing for me.  I like to be in control. I like to think of myself as strong. I am a go-getter who never shys away from taking a risk.  I'm not afraid of change and I'm not afraid of a challenge.  Hell, I welcome it! 

I hate to give even the slightest hint that I may be weak.  I hate the idea that I really am not in control.  I hate trying and failing over and over again.  I hate feeling like I have no will power when I know this is not true!  I once went five days without eating one bite and only drinking water.  THAT takes will power. 

When I eat carbs like a normal person, I go into an addictive cycle.  Eat carbs, feel satisfied, an hour later, start getting ravenous, eat carbs, feel satisfied.  Over and over again. When I'm not actually eating carbs, I'm THINKING about eating carbs. If that doesn't sound like an addiction, I don't know what does.

It is exactly like being addicted to crack or nicotine except for one little thing.  You don't HAVE to take crack or smoke a cigarette, but you DO have to eat to live!  ARRRRGGGGGG!  So frustrating.

Then came The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet by Dr. Rachael Heller & Dr. Richard Heller.  I bought it about six or seven years ago.  I read it.  I thought about it and then I put it aside.  I found it again this past weekend and something inside me just 'got it'.  I decided to start on Monday. 


I am now on Day 3 and it's going beautifully!  Day 3 is usually my 'make it or break it' day.  Typically, it's about this time that I fall off the wagon.  It could just be psychosomatic but it really does seem that I'm not obsessing over food between meals.  Yes, I get hungry but it's not an hour after I eat.  It's more like 3 to 4 hours, which is a huge difference.

I will continue to update things here as I go along.  I will share recipes, thoughts, pictures, menus and if I get really brave, my weight. Yikes!   Recipies will be featured at the bottom of the posts.

Wish me luck!

Dinner Reward Meal:
Mixed Herb Salad with Ranch dressing
Pan Seared Salmon Steak
Asparagus
Gnochii with Sage & browned butter
Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
I added pecans, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and malt.  Was absolutely delicious. And believe it or not, I didn't eat it all either. Amazing!  No pic. Sorry.  I'll remember to do that.




No comments:

Post a Comment