Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 7-Beginning Week 2


Weighed in this am and yes, it was still a pound less than last Monday! WOOHOO!  I thought the salt from last night's Chinese food might do me in but no.

Breakfast this am was sauteed spinach, red pepper, bit of tomato, garlic powder, salt, pepper, 1 whole egg and 1 egg white covered with 1 slice Munster cheese and a splash of Louisiana hot sauce plus 3 small bacon slices.  Oh, cannot forget the coffee!

It was a dark, dreary morning so I was craving a 'treat' at breakfast.  Normally, this would have been something like sweet oatmeal or perhaps a muffin.  Something warm, spicy and fragrant.  So instead of giving in to a very temporary desire, I compromised and made flavored coffee.  It's pretty easy. 

Just sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over coffee grounds and then add a splash of vanilla before it brews.  It smells heavenly and has a nice, rich flavor.  I don't even add any sweetener.  It doesn't need it.  Besides, if I don't know how to pronounce something, I sure don't want to eat it!  YUCK!

Lunch:  Braised cabbage with Steak Umz (easy and fast to cook) & side salad with CAD dressing.  Filling and tasty.

I was ready for a few carbs tonight but wasn't exactly sure what to make for dinner.  Hubs said he was tired of Mexican, we just had Asian, and we're having Italian on Wednesday.  I had a pound of hamburger waiting.  I know, homemade Hamburger Helper!

Both Hubs & I just can't tolerate regular Hamburger Helper any longer.  It's too salty and just tastes like a bunch of chemicals.  Since I like to have easy meals, I started messing around with things to come up with my own versions of our favorites.  Tonight, we're having 'Beef Pasta'. 

Dinner was delicious.  We had Beefy Pasta, green beans, salad, french bread, butter and for desert, chocolate cookie with a latte.  All in all,  a good start to week 2.

Beefy Pasta
1 pound ground beef
1/2 box mushrooms, sliced
1-1/2 cups whole wheat noodles
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 package brown gravy mix
2-1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon beef bullion paste
salt
pepper
Sour cream (optional)

Brown ground beef. Add mushrooms and saute until tender.  Add garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley.  Stir.  Then add brown gravy mix, water, bullion paste, salt and pepper. Stir again.  Bring to boil and then turn down heat to simmer.  Cover and cook until noodles are soft.  If sauce seems too thin, bring temp back up and boil with lid off until the consistency is as you like it, stiring often.  Stir in sour cream if using.  I usually just put the sour cream on the table to add to taste.  I love it, Hubs hates it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment