Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day Four of the Grand Experiment!

As I said yesterday, things are a bit weird.  I woke this morning and didn't immediately start thinking about what I was going to have for breakfast.  I made my coffee, poured a cup, and sipped while talking to a friend.  About an hour or so into the day, I finally got hungry. 

Today's breakfast:  Egg coddled in sauteed spinach with cheddar cheese.  It was delicious and so satisfying.  Easy too.  (Recipes will be at the bottom of the post).

Got hungry for lunch around 11:30.  I'm usually snack-happy around 9:30 to 10:00 so this is a huge improvement!  I had Garlic Chicken with cabbage and cauliflower.  Mighty tasty and I am actually full! 

Reward Dinner tonight was Parmesan Chicken, spaghetti, cauliflower/Brussel sprouts & mixed salad with Ranch dressing.  I amazed myself (and my husband too), when I ended up leaving food on my plate!  And it wasn't that I loaded up either.  I just got full.  I did, however, make room for dessert.  A nice glass of Cherry wine from St. James Winery in Missouri, my home state.  Sweet and flavorful 


Could I have found what really works for me?  Only time will tell. 

Spinach with Coddled Egg
1 large egg
Approximately 2 cups raw spinach
a bit of olive oil
1 oz. shredded cheddar
salt
pepper

Over medium heat, warm olive oil in a small skillet.  Add spinach, salt & pepper. Stir around until very lightly wilted.  Make a small 'nest' in the spinach, drop in egg whole (don't break the yolk).  Cover with lid so it can steam for a bit.  Check in about 2 to 3 minutes.  When egg is cooked, cover with cheese, replace lid, and turn off heat.  Let steam for another minute or so until the cheese is melted.  Enjoy!

Garlic Chicken with Cabbage
1 chicken tenderloin (4 ounces)
1 cup shredded cabbage
3 garlic cloves, minced
olive oil
water
soy sauce-a few splashes
salt
pepper

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Set aside.  Put olive oil into skillet with cabbage, salt, pepper and about a few tablespoons water.  Cook cabbage until it starts to get soft.  You may need to add a bit of water to keep it from sticking.  Add garlic, soy sauce and chicken.  Saute until chicken is cooked through and cabbage is limp and has caramelized a bit. 




No comments:

Post a Comment