Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 10-A Bit of a Trial

As I type, a cold front is moving in.  In the last hour, the temp has dropped over 10 degrees, from a high of 63 to 52.  I think this is the day we really go from Summer to Fall.  I've been waiting for this!

In honor of the coolness, I tried out a new breakfast this morning.  I broke out my muffin pan and made Carbohydrate Addicts Complementary Light & Airy Muffins.  This is a recipe in the CAD book.  The ingredients sound a little odd but I needed something a little different for breakfast.  They definitely were a little bit different.

They lived up to their name as 'Light & Airy'.  I made the Spice Muffin version. I guess I'm good at folding ingredients into egg whites.  They didn't break down much. The recipe said it made eight muffins. I ended up with ten.  Not a bad thing.

My house was filled with the warm scent of spices as they baked.  Nice thing on a cool, dark morning.  Between that and the scent of the brewing coffee, I was in hog heaven. 
Fresh out of the oven.
A serving is two muffins but since mine were lighter, I treated myself to three smeared with salt-free sweet butter.  Pretty tasty.  The texture was a bit like a souffle.  They were very airy and had a nice spice flavor with a hint of sweetness.  They definitely make a good light breakfast.  Not super filling so if you're really hungry, I'd suggest something else.
Would I make them again?  Yes, probably.  I think next time, I will try making them savory instead of sweet.  Maybe add a bit of shredded cheese, chives, and garlic powder.  I think that would be pretty good.

I noticed today, I've been getting hungry and having cravings.  This hasn't been a problem over the past days and I think I know the culprit.  Artificial sweetener.  Both the muffins and the syrup have Splenda in them.  I also did a big no-no and tasted the sauce for the BBQ.  It has sugar and molasses in it.  I should have known better.  It wasn't much, just a taste but I guess I'm sensitive enough to carbs that it affected me.  Darn! I also have been a little less diligent on my Reward Meals the past two days.  Not really paying attention to my low-carb veggies and going over the 1/3 proportions.  I think between these two things, I set myself up for a problem.  Fortunately, dinner isn't too far away and I know I can wait until then to satisify my hunger. 
 
I have learned my lesson!  Tonight's Reward Meal will be truly well-balanced.  Yes, I will have some macaroni and yes, I will also have some lemon cupcake, but just 1/3 carbs as recommenced in the updated CAD.  I like not being hungry, I like not having crazy cravings and I like feeling in control.  It is totally worth being a bit more strict in following the 'rules'. 
Following 'The Rules'
Breakfast:  3 Light & Airy Muffins with butter and coffee with Torani sugar-free chocolate syrup. 
Lunch:  Creamed sauteed cabbage with Steak Umz and mushrooms. 
Dinner:  Spinach salad, Smokey BBQ Pork, Very Creamy Mac & Cheese, green beans, and for dessert, a lemon cupcake (shared, of course, with sweet Hubs).
 

Carbohydrate Addicts Complementary Light & Airy Muffins
Makes 8 to 10 Muffins
1/4 tablespoon vegetable oil (Used Pam instead)
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (I didn't use this)
1/4 cup regular or low-fat cottage cheese (I always use full-fat dairy)
2 tablespoons soy flour
1 package artificial sweetener (I used a scant tablespoon full)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Coat muffin cups with vegetable oil (or Pam spray)*.
Separate eggs being very careful not to get any yolk in the whites.
Beat egg whites until frothy with mixer.  Add cream of tartar (if using) and beat just until stiff peaks form.
Combine egg yolks, cottage cheese, soy flour, and sweetener.  Gently fold this into the egg whites.
Fill muffin cup 2/3 full. 
Bake for about 30 minutes, until muffins are golden brown and spring back when touched.

VARIATION:  Spice Muffins.  Stir 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon cloves into the soy flour mixture. (I used 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, & 1/4 teaspoon cardamon). 
*Nex time, I will use paper liners.  They tend to stick a tiny bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment