Sunday, October 28, 2012

Day 13

Today was weight averaging day.  I lost 1/2 pound.  According to the CAD book, 1/2 to 2 lb. loss is what we're aiming for. 

Woke up later this morning.  Hit the shower, feed the birds, and did the morning chores.  By the time I started getting hungry, it was so close to lunch, I called breakfast a wash.  I don't normally skip meals but I do occasionally.

Both Hubs & I were really hungry so I made lunch my Reward Meal again today.  I seem to do really well with this as my main meal.  It seems to keep my appetite in check for the rest of the day. 

I used the leftover pork from the Smokey BBQ Pork I made earlier this week for Pulled Pork Tacos. The recipes are below. Please forgive me. I didn't take any pictures and the measurements are pretty vague since every pork butt will different in size.  I also didn't measure the slaw so it's all approximations.  Just add a bit and taste it as you go.  This is how I cook most of the time.  Little of this, dash of that.  Taste, adjust.  Did you notice the slaw is on the low-carb food list? 

Hubs wanted hard taco shells, which we didn't have, so he picked some up at the store.  He also picked up a bottle of Mexican Coke for me! 

I am not a huge pop drinker but when I do, I want Coke.  I grew up drinking Coke and it's still the pop of choice in my family.  Unfortunately, several years ago, Coke switched from using real sugar to corn syrup.  When that happened, my interest in pop faded.  I turned to trusted unsweetened iced tea and left the Coke drinking to my dad.  About a year ago, Hubs & I started shopping at our local Latino Mercado. This is where we discovered Mexican Coke...made with real sugar! And they come in glass bottles.  I hate drinks in a plastic bottle!  If you like the taste of old fashioned Coke, get thyself to the nearest Latino store and stock up.  Trust me on this. 

Breakfast:  Skipped
Lunch:  Pulled pork soft tacos, Mexican rice, spinach salad (of course) with fat-free Catalina, Coke, and one chocolate cookie. 
Dinner:  Two-egg omelet with cheddar cheese, onions, a tiny bit of salsa, with a side of bacon.

Pulled Pork Soft Taco
Leftover meat from Smokey BBQ Pork
Ground Cumin
Broth from Smokey BBQ Pork
Corn tortillas
Chipotle Slaw
Monetary Jack or Cheddar cheese, shredded
Onion, chopped
Cilantro
Shred the leftover pork and put in a medium size skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle liberally with ground cumin.  Add a few tablespoons pork broth and stir to combine.  Separate pork and gently warm until the pork has absorbed most of the pork broth.  Set aside.

Heat a small skillet on high.  Add 1 corn tortilla to pan.  Let warm for approximately 30 seconds, flip and warm another 30 seconds. They burn quickly so be alert. Put warmed tortillas inside a folded tea towel to keep warm.  Continue to cook and put in towel until you have the desired number.  I typically eat 3 to 4.  Hubs will usually eat 4 to 6. 

To assemble taco:
Place tortilla on plate, add pork, then cheese, slaw, onion and top with cilantro.  Fold and devour!

Chipotle Slaw
1/4 cabbage
1/4 cup real Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
2 tablespoon Chipotle Powder

Shred cabbage.  Mix mayonnaise, vinegar and chipotle powder.  Add cabbage and toss.  This is better if made a few hours before so the chipotle can really infuse the mayo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment