Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A New year's Resolution for 2014 -Part 3

An important change for the physical side is the dreaded word...exercise.  Daily exercise for that matter. 

What's really kind of funny in a sad way is that I also like exercise.  I love being outside.  In my youth, I was very physically active.  I rode my bike everywhere, I played varsity sports, I walked, I swam.  I did all sorts of things.  Again, I'm not sure why I stopped doing these things.  Perhaps working and life just got in my way and I no longer made it a priority.  I think I just got lazy.

So, obviously, I'm going to incorporate movement into my daily life.  Walking is a high priority on my list.  It's cheap, you can do it anywhere, and I enjoy it. 

I am going to start walking for 15 minutes a day, every day.  I know it's not much but compared to what I'm doing, it's progress.  I will add 15 minutes per week until I reach my goal of 1 hour per session.

Flexibility and strength are also important.  I'm looking into trying yoga again.  I also love Tai Chi and plan on seeing if there are still free classes available.  If you've never tried it, give it a go.  It's amazing and not nearly as easy as it looks. 

For strength, I will look into weights.  Weight bearing exercise is good not only to build core strength and muscle mass but it also helps bone density.  My maternal family is prone to osteoporosis.  Fortunately for me, my bone structure is a bit larger than my little bird-boned mother but better safe than sorry. 

Obviously, I am not going to jump into all of this from day one.  It's going to be added progressively. 
One new activity a month.

In Spring, I plan on getting on this bike again.  How cute is this I ask? 
And this Summer, all I have to do is go right into my own back yard for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment